On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 22:58:26 +0900, Henrik Horneber <ryco / gmx.net> wrote:
>  From an intellectual point I sort of understand the '..' and '..'
> notation. What distracts me most, is the visual difference ... that the
> visually longer three dot form contains fewer elements than the shorter
> two dot form.
>
> (1..5).to_a
> =>[1,2,3,4,5]
> (1...5).to_a
> =>[1,2,3,4]

That's a dangerous consideration -- and not always true:

irb(main):001:0> (1..5).include?(4.99)
=> true
irb(main):002:0> (1...5).include?(4.99)
=> true
irb(main):003:0>

1...5 doesn't include only the numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4 -- it contains
the infinities between the numbers, and the infinity between 4 and 5,
but not 5 itself.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com