Hi --

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, trans.  (T. Onoma) wrote:

> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 08:52 pm, trans.  (T. Onoma) wrote:
> > On Tuesday 28 September 2004 04:19 am, Florian Gross wrote:
> > > Why not method_name? called() is a bit ambiguous IMHO...
> >
> > Two downsides of method_name. The lesser is that it is not brief. The
> > grater is that it indicates nothing about the fact that it is _this_, the
> > current, method's name.
>
> It occurs to me that technically the method name should be called the
> 'message', shouldn't it?

Not necessarily.  Messages being sent to objects can result in methods
being invoked, but there is not an identity or one-to-one
correspondence between the two things.  They just happen to (often)
coincide.

Consider this:

  a = Object.new
  def a.meth; puts "hi"; end
  a.method("meth").call      # hi

At no point has the message "meth" been sent to the object a -- but
"meth" is still the method's name.

David

--
David A. Black