In article <1096480722.300929.155700 / k17g2000odb.googlegroups.com>,
rcoder / gmail.com <rcoder / gmail.com> wrote:
>I'm trying to find out whether it's possible to build a completely
>static Ruby binary under Linux. Basically, I'm trying to support IA-32
>and Itanium systems with a single binary, and since IA-32 shared
>objects can't be loaded by GNU ld on Itanium, I'm hoping that a static
>binary could be a fix.
>
>Has anyone managed to build a static Ruby binary with, at minimum, the
>OpenSSL library included? I can get most of the way through the build
>using the normal Ruby build infrastructure, but I keep getting
>undefined reference errors for 'krb5_*' symbols. I'm sure I can force
>the inclusion of the proper Kerberos libs, but before I bang my head
>against this all day, I'd like to see what if any luck the veterans
>around here have had with purely-static Ruby builds.

Seems I recall you have to edit etc/Setup (in the Ruby source directory).
From the Ruby source README:

"  4. Remove comment mark(#) before the module names from ext/Setup (or
     add module names if not present), if you want to link modules
     statically.
"

and in fact, there is an openssl listed in etc/Setup:

#nkf
#pty
#openssl
#racc/cparse
#readline

Try removing the '#' and then do a './configure' and then 'make'.
I think that should work and should do what you want.

Phil