"rcoder / gmail.com" <rcoder / gmail.com> writes:
> I'm trying to find out whether it's possible to build a completely
> static Ruby binary under Linux. Basically, I'm trying to support IA-32
> and Itanium systems with a single binary, and since IA-32 shared
> objects can't be loaded by GNU ld on Itanium, I'm hoping that a static
> binary could be a fix.

Actually, ia-32 shared libraries can be loaded just fine on Itanium;
depending on your distribution, this may require installing some
compatibility libraries, but there's no problem there.  Contact your
distribution vendor for more information.  If you're using Debian,
contact the maintainer for the ia32-libs package.

-=Eric
		-- Blair Houghton.