On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 02:50:09 +0900, Francis Hwang wrote

> > Interesting, but you'd think that if someone is serious enough to have a
> > job opening with Ruby as part of the title, someone on this list would
> > know them, especially considering they're asking for a "Senior" Ruby
> > developer.
>
> Though you never know. At small companies, "Senior" sometimes means
> you're the only one. Heck, at the non-profit I work at, they call me
> a "Director". I direct myself, and one freelancer when we can afford
> him.
>
> A small size would also help explain why a finance company is taking
> a risk like this ... when you're smaller you have to play to win.

The lion's share of work that I do, I do for mutual funds and a large US
bank, and I do almost all of it with Ruby.  The choice of programming
language has never been any sort of impediment to getting the jobs.  As long
as the results are correct and the product does everything that it is
supposed to do, for the cost that they want to pay, all they have wanted to
know is what language is going to be used, for their own internal
information.

Kirk Haines