On Sep 28, 2004, at 8:24 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2004, at 10:00 AM, why the lucky stiff wrote:
>
>> In case, you're still strugglin...
>>
>> Chris has a few distribution links:
>> <http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/poignant-stiffs/2004-July/000086.html>
>
> Thanks.  This link explains the Mac OS X problem.  Unfortunately, it's
> a little dated (focusing on OS X.2).  I'll fiddle around a bit, now
> that I know what I'm looking for though.
>
> If anybody has managed to get readline working with Ruby 1.8.2pre2 on
> Mac OS X though, please chime in with the steps...

Mac OS X usually has a readline library installed; and if it is
installed, it's not in a standard place; so Ruby's readline support
quietly fails to compile. I know you can download a precompiled
readline.bundle [1], which you can just drop in, or you can download
gnu readline to compile against.

HTH,
Mark

[1] http://cherryville.org/8896/ruby_readline_for_mac.html