You could be crazy... but thats not the issue.

Ruby desktop seems like a fantastic idea.  But borrowing as much existing code
would be much better.

It would probably be better to use ruby as a gtk controller, replacing the
lower levels as you go along.  Other windows tool kits exist...

I am interested in the very light weight systems, something like cybiko
(dissapointing) or a highly computational blackberry.  Ruby would be fantastic
as a virutal machine on a handheld, and a matching system could be made for a
device like tivo or webtv.

Ruby objects would travel thru the ether to be received and pushed to the dt or
possibly a browser.

If such a project could become the center of a micro industry, I think many
would be interested.  Ruby is so young, the design model is still being
crafted.

Count me in !!   I have a server running http://puny.vm.com that is available
for you if you want,

Goto the menu -> join -> click want to contribute to get a login, web space,
etc.

John

>  I am quite
> unhappy with the state of both GNOME and KDE, and I find the idea of a
> Ruby desktop exciting. Some parts need to be fast (some window manager
> stuff, e.g.), but other things, including most application logic, could
> be in pure Ruby, I think.
>
> Is anyone else interested in this? Given Ruby's many advantages, I think
> something useful could be crafted quickly (a year? is that quick?). I
> also think it would push Ruby to the limit in some ways, and perhaps
> make the language better.
>
> Any thoughts? Or am I crazy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jon
> --
>   Jonathan Aseltine     aseltine / cs.umass.edu     MAS, Umass, Amherst

=====
John van Vlaanderen