"Jim Freeze" <jim / freeze.org> wrote in message
news:Pine.BSF.4.21.0102212015190.68198-100000 / www.bellnetworks.net...
> I don't think that Ruby will make inroads all areas, such as embedded
motor
> control or  device drivers, nor computationally expensive numerics
> (although it can be used as the glue code to call the optimized routines),
> but for application areas involving networking, web, db, process control,
> filters, etc, where Ruby meets the performance requirements, there
> is really no other intelligent (and informed) choice. (wow, does that
> sound kind of harsh?)

I'd like to add meta-programming. We've devices at work that can only be
programmed using an old, lousy, boring (any negative adjective can be added)
BASIC dialect. I'm so bored of it I think "I have to quit and get a new job"
for every line of code I write in that obnoxious language.

But that has changed lately. Now I use Ruby to extract facts from the
technical specification of the program and have Ruby generate the code for
me. Not the entire program (yet) but the mechanical parts.

Ruby has made my life happier and nowadays I don't think "I have to quit and
get a new job" more. At least not every day. :-)

Thanks matz for the language! And thanks Dave and Andy for your two great
books!

The only problem nowadays is for me to *not* talk too much about Ruby and
pragmatic programming at work so someone gives me a punch in the face.

:o) <- rob with a smashed nose

/rob