> > [snip]
> >> I know I'm probably missing something obvious.  Help?
> more [snips]
> I made more progress, but those RPMs want libdb-4.2 and RedHat Enterprise
> Server 3.0 is still using 4.1.  At this point, I think I'll just put
> installing Ruby on hold, I don't really want to install unexpected
> versions of db4.

optionally, you can always try to  --force --nodeps
(although that's far from being a recommendable practice)
if you don't use the ruby dbm modules, you shouldn't have a
problem, no ruby libs should interfere with the default RH
installation.
In any case, rpm -e will still work after forcing that install if
you don't get the expected results.

--
--- vruz