Hi,

I have been thinking about something for some time now, and I wanted to
get some feedback from the list. Would it be feasible/possible/wise to
craft a desktop environment using Ruby as its backbone? I am quite
unhappy with the state of both GNOME and KDE, and I find the idea of a
Ruby desktop exciting. Some parts need to be fast (some window manager
stuff, e.g.), but other things, including most application logic, could
be in pure Ruby, I think.

Is anyone else interested in this? Given Ruby's many advantages, I think
something useful could be crafted quickly (a year? is that quick?). I
also think it would push Ruby to the limit in some ways, and perhaps
make the language better.

Any thoughts? Or am I crazy?

Thanks,

Jon
  Jonathan Aseltine     aseltine / cs.umass.edu     MAS, Umass, Amherst