On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 01:20:44AM +0900, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> Why oh why?
> ---
>    Rubydium works by generating optimized platform specific code
>    on the fly, as needed, using instance type information gathered
>    during the execution itself.
>
>    Optimisations are possible as the generated code can be specialized
>    for the types in question, therefore allowing heavy inlining of
>    speed critical sections.

How are you going to implement code cache invalidation? Will you just
detect method redefinitions or is there some better way?

> Where ya at?
> ---
>    This preview can execute an primitive subset of the
>    Ruby language, its slow, buggy, more complex than i'd
>    really like, and will probably make you loose a fair
>    amount of hair just getting the preview working :)

How large a subset?

>    However, its a proof of concept that does show that
>    The Twist is implementable using the libjit library.

How does libjit interact with low-level things like OS threads?

>    Any failed tests?, first please check that you actually do have an
>    interpreter build of libjit rather than a x86 backend build. If you're
>    certain that there are other errors, feel free to email me the failure
>    reports :)

Do you know when it will become possible to use the x86 backend?
And how big a speed increase can be expected relative to the interpreted VM?

--
Running Debian GNU/Linux Sid (unstable)
batsman dot geo at yahoo dot com