I spent about an hour looking over the Inline.pm faq on perl.com last night.

From the users admin point of view, or especially mobile development, I think
it is not, as they would like you to believe, a drop in replacement for XSUB.

Since it has to be linked to the compiler that created perl in the first place
it is completely unusable in a distributed environment.

The only practical use I can see is the accessing of shared libs, but still you
need that specific compiler.

Oddly, this product comes out of activestate which is fairly carefully trying
to prevent users from having just such an environment, especially one that is
copylefted.

Inline perl in ruby would make a lot more sense, since the perl compiler is
presumably already on the box being migrated to ruby.

Economic ramble:
I think this kind of analysis is important in defining the difference between
firms  developing revenue streams inside the development community rather than
those providing end user products, like web pages.  The first model restricts
technology by squeezing developers at the head of their revenue stream, the
latter enables it by bringing back revenue from the profit zone.

People dont want tools they want information and entertainment.

=====
John van Vlaanderen