On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 01:56:34 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you, Mauricio. Question for people interested in packaging:
> since this is merely a packaging error (not affecting ANY files in the
> released code), should this update be a separate version or should it
> be a replace-in--place? (It only affects .tar.gz files).

I am of the distinct opinion that ANY change to the release should
result in a bump.  A number of the repackaging systems out there use
one way/secure hashes (SHA1, MD5 - do not use for new apps, et al) to
verify that the files involved in a release are the same as the ones
the person doing packaging saw.  If you change the release in any way,
you'll invalidate this, and waste the time of the people that use
these systems, as they end up getting your modified tarballs and start
looking through diffs etc to see if you have been attacked and gotten
a trojan.

At least for FreeBSD ports, you'll get a fallback to our mirrors if
the file isn't there, so there is little problem with just removing a
wrong release.

So: New release numbering for ANY change.

Eivind.