On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 16:33, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> On Monday, September 27, 2004, 8:31:31 AM, Matt wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Markus wrote:
>
> >>     If all else fails, it's dirt simple to install from source,
> >> generally nothing more than:
> >>
> >> ./configure
> >> make
> >> sudo make install
>
> > Yeah, but I have another 16 systems that are scheduled to be installed.
>
> > Package managers are my friend.
>
> > And, yes, I've made this argument before.  The vast majority of folks here
> > are incredibly talented developers.  However, managing production systems
> > requires a different set of priorities.
>
> I'm not suggesting you should do this, just curious as to what's
> involved: creating your own RPM.  If you built it from source on one
> machine, can you easily create an RPM for managing all machines?

     I gather making your own RPM fairly simple (disclaimer: I've
delegated the task but not done it myself).

     The other option which we frequently use which dates back to before
RPMs is to have a build CD (which may in fact be an NFS mount) with a
script that runs a bunch of other scripts in a sub-directory tree.  We
run this script at an appropriate point the setup of new machines.  In
this set up, it really is dirt simple to have a script that does the
configure-make-make boogie but doesn't require manual intervention.

-- Markus