On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:47:34 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:12:34 +0900, Cristi BALAN <mental / gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm having a somewhat similar problem with vim 6.3 on windows. Because
> > i want to make sure i don't get weird ^M stuff in my files, I have set
> > the following in my _vimrc:
> > set ff=unix
> > set ffs=unix
> >
> > Now, each time i do :h foo, or try to use a script that has ^M, i get
> > warnings/errors saying
> > Errors detected while processing modelines:
> > E518: Unknown option ^M
> >
> > I suspect that this is actually my fault since the help files that
> > came with the win32 vim have crlf line endings and the default ff and
> > ffs settings detect and work ok with those files.
> >
> > So(big assumption on my part here, haven't tested anything), this
> > probably works the other way too, if you have ffs=dos on windows,
> > files that only have \n in them fail.
>
> Use:
>
> set ffs=unix,dos,mac
>
> You'll get Unix file support first, but you won't lose your ability to
> work with \r\n files.
>
> This does not appear to make a difference on Unix.

I know, I set the ffs=unix on purpose because i didn't want vim to
guess the ff by itself and leave me thinking i'm editing a unix file,
when I was actually editing a dos file. Tho, the only case when the ff
gets set to dos is the case when all line endings in the file are
crlf, but i don't want that, I want it to be predictable, I'd rather
put up with the ^M :)

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry if my post seemed like I was
complaining about my settings, I was actually trying to guess why some
earlier post (the grandparent) had the \r problems :)

--
Cristi BALAN