* Mauricio Fern?ndez <batsman.geo / yahoo.com> [0924 00:24]:
> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:44:39AM +0900, Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> > have you seen this?
> >
> > http://repetae.net/~john/computer/vsdb/
> >
> > super cool idea - but crashes alot.  i have a little c binding for testing
>
> heh looks like http://cr.yp.to/cdb.html with rewrite-on-update (have to
> read the code to make sure but it's 1am)
> I believe something like rdbm would be better (http://www.fefe.de/rdbm/).
>
> > only if you are interested.  what's the concept of your fs db?
>
> I first learned about this approach via Eivind Eklund when talking about
> OVCS.  It's the method used by Subversion and monotone (AFAIR): index
> data by its digest. A number of interesting things happen when you do so:
> * full-tree versioning
> * "implicit deltas" and fairly efficient compression of the data
> * ...

By 'index by digest', do you mean something like Venti:

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/venti/venti.html

? I tried playing with a ruby-based version of this a while ago, but couldn't
find a good way of chopping up files to store them efficiently.....

--
In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the
universe.