On Monday 20 September 2004 10:59 am, Robert Klemme wrote:
> No. You *can* enumerate all elements (or all pairs) in a Hash.

Well, there is a a subtle distinction that can be drawn: by "enumerating a
hash", it undergoes a transformation and it isn't really a hash any more
--order has imposed upon it, and hashes have no order. Hence David's sense of
a "magic" to_a.  Granted this is quite minor.

So, I agree with you. I just think the word 'index' is the wrong word, and
source of much the "confusion". If it's really needed the word 'enumerator'
would be better.

  each_with_enumerator{|a,e| ... }

(Or perhaps just 'enum' for short)

And then each_with_index can be defined as has been suggested, per class. For
Array it would just be an alias to the above I suppose.

T.

--
( o _  елеще┴
 //    trans.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way.
-Mark Twain