On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 22:12:54 +0900, Jani Monoses <jani / iv.ro> wrote:

> maybe it was my bad wording ;) I know that ! versions modify in place
> (scheme heritage?)
> I was asking which methods should have a ! variant along the regular one.
> We have sub and sub!, strip and strip! but no String#just! only String#just

It does seem a bit arbitrary.

Personally, I'd like 'modify in place' versions of every method
possible, but some of them would cause type conversions (ie: pack!,
split!, hex!), which might be a bit 'surprising' to some people, so I
could understand not adding those (but I would still want them).

I think the lack of modify methods like ljust!, center!, crypt!,
dump!, etc (where a String is returned), was really just a question of
language style.

--
Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)