On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:48:01 +0900, Jim Freeze <jim / freeze.org> wrote:

> This is a great resource. I have the printed book, but it is nice to have
> a searchable version online when I forget 'the book'.
>
> I'm curious though, no party's had an objection to releasing the
> book online in fear that it would decrease sales of the book?

Quite the opposite, I think.  I've been lured by a number of openly
available texts (or MP3's) and then gone on to buy the real article.
It's very handy to have a clickable, searchable version of a reference
manual, but there are times (especially when you aren't sure what you're
looking for) that you want the paper version.  I need and use both, so
I think in the long term this will both help sales of the book and
further promote Ruby to those with casual interest.

/\ndy

--
Andrew Hunt, The Pragmatic Programmers, LLC.
Innovative Object-Oriented Software Development