"Conrad Schneiker" <schneik / us.ibm.com> wrote:

>Dave Thomas wrote:
[...]
># The book is released under an Open Publication license, so you're
># free to make copies--see the file COPYING in the download for
># details.
[...]
>Is this another Ruby First (tm), relative to Perl, Python, and Java?

Depends what you mean by first.  Several O'Reilly books
(including the Camels) have been written as books and then
the meat was pulled out and turned into online
documentation.  There have also been some technical books
(eg Running Linux) that have appeared under various open
licenses.  (As well as non-technical books like Open
Sources that started non-open and then opened up.)

However I do not know of any case in Perl or Python (I
would definitely not know for Java) where a respected book
was originally published under a non-open source license
and then re-released under an open license.

Cheers,
Ben