On Wednesday 21 February 2001 22:19, Dave Thomas wrote:
> "W. Kent Starr" <elderburn / mindspring.com> writes:
> > Re the Latex versions....again, dependent upon original contractural
> > arrangements, the publisher may have the right to restrict distribution
> > of this, as it can be used in typesetting for a print version.  I that
> > that if I were the publisher, I would have those kinds of restrictions,
> > all other things being equal.
>
> My understanding is that under the terms of the Open Publication
> license, there's nothing stopping anyone taking the XML (say) and
> producing a book from it. It's a risk we take.

Of course, with electronic publishing even the HTML could be used.  I was
thinking typehouses, many of which can handle LaTex but not yet XML. The
mechnaics, of course, are trivial; its the legal protections that matter :-)

> As I said, AWL are comfortable with it, and we're comfortable with it,
> so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Since sending my last post I read your explanation of the arrangements. I
figured you guys had the legal angles covered, but am glad to hear everyone
is comfortable with the Open Publishing direction taken here. You _and_ your
publsiher are to be highly commended for taking a bold, but significant step.
towards the reality of the third wave,  instead of kicking and screaming and
dragging your feet every inch of the way as do so many others.

The economics of an information economy are founded not upon hoarding a
larger slice of the pie but in creating a vastly larger pie so that
_everyones'_ share is increased in the process. While many of the people on
this list, no doubt, recognize this factor, very few would, I think, have the
significant vested interest in the older 'logic' as would AWL. That AWL
should be willing to forsake the 'wisdom' of past times and embrace the new
is a strong testament. I sincerely hope, and sincerely believe, that reward
shall be reaped from the risk.

Matz, the Pragmatic Programmers, AWL and many of the people on this list
stand to profit personally and professionally, and in various ways, from the
growth of a strong and active Ruby community. The fact that the keystones of
this community so thoroughly embrace the principles of development within an
information based economy can only serve to enhance such growth. The real
'new economy' (which is _not_ dot coms!) shall prove as rewarding to those
who follow its specific principles (and as unforgiving to those who do not)
as was the previous one with respect to its dictums.

A toast to those who choose to surf the crest of the wave rather than
flounder in the backwash! :-)

Regards,

Kent Starr
elderburn / mindspring.com