James Edward Gray II wrote:

> Main Question:  I can spare the time to organize and run a Ruby Quiz.
> Would you, the Ruby community, like to have that?

I would like that very much. It would help me fine tune my Ruby skills.

> I'm thinking we would keep the quiz on this list.  I would prepend a
> [QUIZ] to the front of question and summary subjects, for clarity.  I
> could place a reminder in the quiz questions for people posting
> solutions and discussion to do the same.

I am ok with this.

> I'm offering myself as the fallback source of questions.  I would add
> a footer to the quiz messages, inviting people to submit questions
> directly to me.  When quiz time rolls around, I would choose a
> submission or provide one of my own.  The community would be strongly
> encouraged to submit questions as I'm not a Ruby expert.  I imagine I
> would stumble across an interesting topic from time to time, and a
> dull one at least as often.  Be warned.

I'd love to submit questions and I'd love to answer other peoples quiz
questions.

> I feel the summary is the primary reason to host our own challenges.
> We can examine submissions and solutions from a Ruby standpoint.  That
> would be our main goal, to share interesting Rubyisms and thusly learn
> more Ruby together.

Aye a community effort!

> A final issue I'm undecided on:  Perl's Quiz has a "grace period" (60
> hours) before solutions SHOULD be posted, to allow people time to
> think the problem through on their own before they examine the
> solutions of others.  Rot13 encrypting solutions would probably have
> about the same level of security, just to throw out a Usenet-like
> alternative.  It's strictly custom and not enforced, but it works more
> often than not.  I'm interested in hearing what others think about this.

Would the grace period be a self discipline for rubyists on the mailing
list not to post their solution or do you have something else in mind
for how solutions would be posted? I would like not to go the self
discipline way. I would forget to post to often. I would rather be able
to post my solution whenever I was finished with it, but not have the
solution show up until it was deemed necessary either by the admin or by
a "timer".

Zach

P.S. - I have glanced at the Perl quiz but have never participated so my
comments may be offbase somewhat. ;)