> UK-based rubyists (or even European ones) might like to know that
> amazon.co.uk has the PickaxeII listed with 30% off RRP, i.e. ?22.36
> The book is announced for end of October.

Mmmm, spotted that yesterday and I am a bit torn. Part of me wants to
support them by direct ordering the book / pdf combo and the
cheapskate part wants to get the book from Amazon UK and just buy the
PDF from the PragProg. Its why I asked in another thread if the book
would be signed (i.e. a value added version, which is an easier sell
to the wife than I want to support the authors).

Also from my limited exposure to writing[1], where you buy the
hardcopy wouldn't normally make any difference to the author. It does
for PragProg as they are self publishing and will make more money from
direct sales without the middle men.

Rob

[1] At least that is the impression I got from the royality statements
from Manning for Eclipse In Action. The royalties are based on the
published price of the book and the number of copies sold. There was
no difference between books bought directly from Manning or those
heavily discounted on say Amazon. Though there was a slightly
different percentage for ebook versions over print versions.

--
Personal responsibility is battling extinction.