Martin --

     Bullet point, because I'm about to fall asleep:

     1) I've done this, but not in Ruby
     2) I don't know of any ruby implementation
     3) I may have a very similar need within a month or three
     4) I'd be willing to help write it in ruby
     5) I will forward the (pascal) version I wrote if I can find it.

      -- MarkusQ