In article <8x%1d.2604$Qv5.529 / newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
Chris  <ceo / nospan.on.net> wrote:

>(4) Each language has it's own strengths.  IMO one of Perl's strengths
>is the simplicity and consistency of it's parameter passing:
>
>sub shell {
>
>    my @output;
>    for (@_) { push @output, `$_` }
>    chomp( @output );
>    return wantarray ? @output : \@output;
>
>}

Actually, I think this is one of the _worst_ things about Perl and it was
one of those nagging little annoyances that when added up finally led me
to seek out alternatives.  The problem with the way parameters are passed
to subroutines in Perl is that you can't tell from a glance how many
params are supposed to be passed into the subroutine and you have no
information about what the params are.  You've got to look down through
the subroutine code to see if there's a 'shift @_' lurking somewhere in
the code (for the uninitiated, you pass params to Perl subroutines via the
'@_' global list; you have to 'manually' shift the params off of that list
- blech! )

Phil