Thanks you all for your help.
Just answering some of the questions:

I selected AIX over Linux because I have been doing AIX sysadmin for
over 10 years. Second, I have the hardware, RS/6000. Although I
believe that the 7025-F50 runs Linux, I did not tried that. I might
look into that as a way to enhance or perhaps I should say develop my
Linux skills.

The PickAxe book I have, and I waiting for the new version of it. As a
matter of fact, I think I have all the Ruby books published to this
point.

Any suggestions about the speed of the line?

Thanks a bunch!