Victor Reyes <victor.reyes / gmail.com> wrote:

> I am in the process of setting up a website on my own hardware.

Good luck!

> The plataform is as follows:
>
> IBM RS/6000 7025-F50.
> Ruby 1.8.2 - when I find the way to get it to compile.

An ignorant question:  have you considered going to Linux?
I believe that it has been done:

  http://www.solinno.co.uk/7043-140/news.php

> I hear people discussing ruby websites. What do they mean by that? Are
> these websites that alllow users to program with ruby? or what?

There are a number of Ruby application packages that make development of
dynamic websites pretty straight forward.  Two of the more popular ones
are:

 + Rails (http://www.rubyonrails.org/show/HomePage)
 + IOWA (http://enigo.com/projects/iowa/index.html)

Both are 100% Ruby and allow the developer to code in Ruby plus HTML.
Depending on your tastes, either may work for your site.  The best thing
would be to:

 1. Get Ruby up and running
 2. Get a copy of the PickAxe book
     (http://pragmaticprogrammer.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/index.html)
 3. Go through the book, focusing on the basics and tutorials
 4. Install Rails and IOWA (plus any other frameworks that interest you)
 5. Start doing your site
 6. Post questions to c.l.r

I hope this helps,

--