Chris wrote:

> ... in my estimation, the paradigm in Ruby is
> entirely different than in just about any other procedural language and
> even from the OO aspects of Perl, C++ and Java.  To me, the difference
> between Ruby and just about anything else (common) is the same as when,
> in the development world, many of us made the leap from procedural to
> OO.  I think the gap between Ruby and most everything else is that big
> -- as well as the payoffs...?

Could I can encourage you to go into more detail about this?  In what
ways do you see the Ruby paradigm as being s different from Perl, Java,
and C++?

When you started learning Ruby, did you try to adapt familiar Perl/Java
concepts/structures/object models to Ruby?  If so, did this help or
hinder your learning Ruby?

> So I'm looking for feedback from those that have converted, esp. from a
> hardcore Perl perspective.

Same here.  This is an interesting topic.

Thanks,

James