Michael Granger wrote:

> First of all, I must apologize for my lack of prompt reply to this
> (and your other emails). I've been traveling, and haven't kept up with
> ruby-talk as faithfully as I should have. Thanks to daz and others who
> have replied in my absence.

No need to apologize, we can't expect you and other developers to be
able to reply 24/7 and I know that people do have life outside of the
Ruby ML. I just don't hold anything back if I have a question. And you
are replying now, so no harm no foul.

> it assumes you've done mod_ruby development before and know about
> Apache status codes, which isn't a valid assumption. We'll try to do
> better. =:)

I have used mod_ruby once or twice in the past for benchmarking tests at
work. Nothing fancy, just basic stuff and it was a while ago.

>> Also it'd be nice if the README file or the online manual would state
>> how-to run the demo/samples all you need to do are these steps: boom,
>> bang, bing! Then I would be much more inclined to reading the
>> Tutorial page on the Arrow web site and put 2 and 2 together. It is
>> often easier to see an end result and then go back and figure out how
>> it got there, then it is to read about it all upfront and have to
>> figure out how the pieces interact.  Just another perspective.
>

> The installation script should do all this for you: it can install
> demo applets and templates in a directory of your choice, create an
> appropriate config file for your installation, and then generates and
> outputs an appropriate section for your httpd.conf. Did this not work
> for you?

It installed the demo applets and templates and it did create a
demo.cfg. I had to manually add the httpd.conf configuration. I run a
Debian woody box.  Once I figure out Arrow and mod_ruby a little better
I will be installing on another Debian server at work(the one I use now
is my home development server) so I will pay closer attention to what
happens during installation and update the you and the list.

> One of the things it doesn't do is attempt to install the stuff in
> redist/ for you or check your mod_ruby installation. It would appear
> from your installation attempts as if this might be valuable. I'm a
> bit leery of doing either because of cross-platform concerns, but I
> guess I could do it for UNIXish installations and see where that gets us.

The redist/ part was my fault for not starting off reading the online
documentation for Arrow. I just read the README file and away I went.
But perhaps the install script to output to the user: "formvalidator is
not installed, it can be found in the redist/ directory".

Zach