--Apple-Mail-2-740839531

First of all, I must apologize for my lack of prompt reply to this (and
your other emails). I've been traveling, and haven't kept up with
ruby-talk as faithfully as I should have. Thanks to daz and others who
have replied in my absence.

On Sep 11, 2004, at 3:20 PM, Zach Dennis wrote:

> There are three free standing files: hashslice.rb, crosscase.rb and
> delimscanner.rb in the redist/ directory. I copied these to the
> /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ directory. (HashSlice is mentioned
> on the Online Manual page for Arrow, but I didn't see anything about
> the other two...any one care to comment on them?)

The only one that is required for normal operation is 'hashslice.rb'.
'delimscanner.rb' is no longer used, so I'll remove it from the redist/
directory. 'crosscase.rb' was only required by 'delimscanner.rb', so
I'll remove that, too. Thanks for mentioning this.

> 0.5 - Then I had to modify the demo.cfg file and add to the path
> section under applets: - "/etc/arrow/applets" . Also to note that you
> need to make sure you use 2 spaces to indent each section of the
> configuration file deeper you go. I used tabs and it didn't work.
> (This may be a simple YAML requirement? but I have never used YAML so
> I didn't know)

This has tripped me up in the past, too, but I don't quite know how to
detect when it's happened. I'll spend some time with the YAML modules
and see if I can't try to warn about this situation.

> One thing that would be nice is for better Error documentation on
> Arrow's errors. I have no clue what "Applet returned false, OK Status
> = -1" means in the apache error.log file. Is that a missing file? A
> malformed applet file? etc... Most of the errors were because of my
> own lack of patience and reading, but I hope that this post will help
> others.

I've tried to make the actual errors self-explanatory, but I'll
continue to work on this. One thing I could improve on is trying to
detect and provide suggestions for possible fixes for things that look
like errors (like no applets found, invalid YAML, etc.). The message
you cited isn't an error, but you're right: the message is sorely
lacking in useful content for anyone that isn't familiar with the
internals of Arrow.

We intend to alleviate this somewhat by finishing the tutorial part of
the documentation. While the "Applet" part of the tutorial does mention
the above situation:

   "Returning a non-true value causes a DECLINED status
    to be sent back to Apache. This can be used to pass
    control to a further handler if the action determines
    it cannot handle the request."

it assumes you've done mod_ruby development before and know about
Apache status codes, which isn't a valid assumption. We'll try to do
better. =:)

> Also it'd be nice if the README file or the online manual would state
> how-to run the demo/samples all you need to do are these steps: boom,
> bang, bing! Then I would be much more inclined to reading the Tutorial
> page on the Arrow web site and put 2 and 2 together. It is often
> easier to see an end result and then go back and figure out how it got
> there, then it is to read about it all upfront and have to figure out
> how the pieces interact.  Just another perspective.

The installation script should do all this for you: it can install demo
applets and templates in a directory of your choice, create an
appropriate config file for your installation, and then generates and
outputs an appropriate section for your httpd.conf. Did this not work
for you?

One of the things it doesn't do is attempt to install the stuff in
redist/ for you or check your mod_ruby installation. It would appear
from your installation attempts as if this might be valuable. I'm a bit
leery of doing either because of cross-platform concerns, but I guess I
could do it for UNIXish installations and see where that gets us.

I'll also create an INSTALL file with the information from the online
manual in it and add that to the distribution.

Thanks so much for your posts to this list. Ease of installation is one
of the things I had hoped to work out before the 1.0 release, and your
posts have illuminated some of the weak points in the documentation.
Any additional suggestions or comments you have would be equally
appreciated.

--
Michael Granger <ged / FaerieMUD.org>
Rubymage, Believer, Architect