On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 02:35:01AM +0900, Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> why not fork?  it's not that expensive anymore and would solve most of your
> problems.

It solves the wrong problem. My server has a pool of objects, and the
incoming connections need to be able to see/modify them. Using fork, you
lose all ability to share data without using some sort of IPC.

I'm quite happy to use mutexes to make the accesses to objects thread-safe;
what caught me out is that a *local variable* is not thread safe. i.e. the
objects were fine, I just ended up sending a message to the wrong object!

Cheers,

Brian.