Kaspar Schiess wrote:

> In the way of tools, I have found the mingw package to work miracles,
> since it is pretty much unix-like. extconf.rb scripts work pretty much
> all the time under this setup, I even could compile Ruby 1.9. But not
> everyone finds that mixed compilation environment to their taste: It
> feels Unix, but is win32 below.

I prefer cygwin over mingw when going for the unix feel. All mingw has
ever done for me is screw up my cygwin installations. Mingw seems to
only play nice when there is no cygwin, at least for me. But if you have
Visual Studio or similar I'd say go for a straight win32 compilation
environment.

>   And thank you for
> speaking up, I sometimes feel like I am the only windows user around
> here. (And no, I am not interested in the platform discussion.)

I also use Ruby on Windows. (but i use it on Mac & Linux to). So there
are two of us at a minimum.

Zach