Ara.T.Howard / noaa.gov wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2004, Jamis Buck wrote:
>
>> SQLite/Ruby is an interface for Ruby into the SQLite database engine. It
>> is only for SQLite version 2.x -- it does not (yet) support 3.x.
>

>   you are an animal jamis!

_Homo sapiens_, to be precise. ;)

>> Support for Ara's "arrayfields" module remains implicit. If you require
>> the arrayfields module before doing a query, then the rows that returned
>> may be indexed by column name (like a hash) or iterated through by index
>> (like an array).
>

>   thanks very much!  for those of you wondering the sole intrusion into
> jamis'
>   code is a check for a 'field=' method.  eg. you could implement your own
>   Array#fields= method and not use arrayfields.

Actually, I do a check to see if 'fields=' is already defined (by
arrayfields, for example), and if is hasn't been, I define it. That way
the interface is consistent, whether you're using arrayfields or not.
Pretty similar to what I did for the last version.

>> Lastly: some of you may be wondering why I still bother with the older
>> 2.x
>> interface for SQLite, given that the 3.x interface is almost out of beta.
>> Three reasons: one, I'm familiar with it. Two, there are still alot  of
>> people that use 2.x databases. Three, a Ruby interface for SQLite3 is
>> forthcoming--watch this space!
>

>   i subscribe to the sqlite mailing list and read it often.  3 is
> definitely
>   not ready for production yet.

Good to know. I'll hold of a bit longer, then. :) It's not like I
haven't got enough to do, after all!

> kind regards.
>
> -a

- Jamis