"Kaspar Schiess" <eule / space.ch> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:chp75o$4gp$1 / sea.gmane.org...

> Charles Hixson wrote:
>
> | I want to have a class which occasionally updates a file, but I want
> | ensure that it always flushes it's data to the file before the program
> | quits.
>
> Not quite sure if I really understand your problem, but I might offer
> some things to consider here:
>
> 1. stream.sync= true for enabling autoflush. Is this not possible ? This
> seems to be the simplest solution.
>
> 2. Use Ruby's block syntax to 'ensure' flush after update.

Yeah, but it really depends on the usage pattern: I'm not sure whether a)
the file is overwritten on every access and b) how often these updates
take place.  Charles, can you clarify?

> 3. At exit of ruby program, all Files should be flushed anyhow, correct
> me on this if I am mistaken.

Hm, I would have guessed otherwise but apparently you are right:

12:00:34 [source]: ruby -e 'io=File.open("x", "w");io.sync =
false;io.print "hello"'
12:00:53 [source]: cat x
hello12:00:55 [source]:

Kind regards