On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 09:12, Jim Weirich wrote:
> Could you provide a specific example of how you use this?  In many ways,
> a Rakefile is a configuration file for building software, and I'm a
> little hesitant to add a config file for a config file unless there are
> compelling reasons.

Same reason that most Ant buildfiles have <properties
file="override.properties"/> construct, I presume.

Development environments have individual characteristics (most often,
database connection attributes, I've also seen port numbers, paths,
CVSROOT values, HTTP proxy settings etc). So, you use named variables in
the build file (which is in CVS), and specify their values in a separate
file (which is in .cvsignore).

I use eval('build.properties'), where build.properties is a bunch of
FOO=bar assignments.

Alex