Randy wrote:
>> My idea is that people here will know that someone asked a question
>> there immediately, not two weeks later.
>>
>> If anything interesting comes up in the answers to the question, we
>> can the summary of the thread back to ruby-talk, too.
>
> What if a person wants to follow both lists? I guess I don't much like
> the idea of cross-talk between the lists (one-way or two-way). If people
> want to be "in the loop" they subscribe to both lists. It's much, much
> simpler, and it gives people more flexibility in what messages they
> choose to see.

+1 from me.

ruby-talk is archived and floods people's inboxen daily.  There's a time
and a place for forum-type chatter and simple Q&A, but the ruby-talk
archive and people's inboxen are not it!

There will be enough people monitoring the forum to answer any simple
question.  Difficult ones -- the minority -- can be relayed to ruby-talk
manually (by the person who wishes to answer), with great ease and
purpose.  This is excatly what happens currently with IRC; the forum
should be no different.

My original suggestion for a fortnightly roundup of forum activity on
ruby-talk was aimed at low-volume information only, to satisfy
ruby-talkers' curiosity and gain some publicity for the forum.  The
knowledge that there is activity there would draw more experts.

Cheers,
Gavin