David, first of all thank you for your elaborate expression what I think I
intended to say - but maybe less clear and well formulated!

"David A. Black" <dblack / wobblini.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:Pine.LNX.4.44.0409071337180.2292-100000 / wobblini...
> Hi --
>
> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, James Edward Gray II wrote:
>
>> On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:39 PM, David A. Black wrote:
>>
>> > I think the reservations that have been raised have to do with the
>> > merits of a nuby-helping-nuby environment, as well as the fact that
>> > this list is historically a home
>> > for nubies as well as experienced users.
>>
>> Oh, if that's your complaint, I disagree.  ;)
>
> With which one? :-)  Actually the second point -- that ruby-talk has
> always been, and still is, a home for nubies -- is the more important
> for me; I have enough invested in this list, and have worked hard
> enough over the years to make people feel welcome here, that I am sad
> to see it talked about as frightening, intimidating, etc.

Maybe it's not really ruby-talk that's frightening; it could be the label
(it's not called "ruby-nuby" or "comp.lang.ruby.beginners") or some of the
more esoteric subjects.  I don't think that efforts of you and others to
make this a comfy place for everybody failed.  Indeed, I'd say they
succeeded - I know *far* more hostile newsgroups.

It may very well be that a certain amount of shyness is indeed good, because
it encourages folks to search for resources on their own or think again
about the issue at hand before posting.  That might well keep too trivial
and easy to find stuff off the list.  (I'm not an expert at newsgroup
psychology, but that's my impression.)

>> Being with a group of your peers is almost always a good thing, I
>> think.
>
> I agree; that's why I've always liked it here.  I love the fact that,
> even as a nuby, my peers were understood to include experienced Ruby
> programmers.  I know I'm making it sound more utopian than it is.  But
> what I like about it -- and the Ruby world in general -- is that it's
> not built on the heavily stratified, "I'm-a-worm-and-you're-a-wizard"
> (or vice versa), aggressively pyramidal model that characterizes so
> many other communities.  I've always had a personal distaste for that
> kind of thing, and therefore (among other reasons) been very happy in
> the Ruby world.

I couldn't agree more!

> Anyway -- if you think your project will help you, you should do it.
> I hope we'll see you and your colleagues around here too, and also on
> IRC.

Personally I like Bill's filter idea.  Can anybody comment on the
feasability?

Kind regards

    robert