Hi --

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2004, at 12:39 PM, David A. Black wrote:
>
> > I think the reservations that have been raised have to do with the
> > merits of a nuby-helping-nuby environment, as well as the fact that
> > this list is historically a home
> > for nubies as well as experienced users.
>
> Oh, if that's your complaint, I disagree.  ;)

With which one? :-)  Actually the second point -- that ruby-talk has
always been, and still is, a home for nubies -- is the more important
for me; I have enough invested in this list, and have worked hard
enough over the years to make people feel welcome here, that I am sad
to see it talked about as frightening, intimidating, etc.

> Being with a group of your peers is almost always a good thing, I
> think.

I agree; that's why I've always liked it here.  I love the fact that,
even as a nuby, my peers were understood to include experienced Ruby
programmers.  I know I'm making it sound more utopian than it is.  But
what I like about it -- and the Ruby world in general -- is that it's
not built on the heavily stratified, "I'm-a-worm-and-you're-a-wizard"
(or vice versa), aggressively pyramidal model that characterizes so
many other communities.  I've always had a personal distaste for that
kind of thing, and therefore (among other reasons) been very happy in
the Ruby world.

Anyway -- if you think your project will help you, you should do it.
I hope we'll see you and your colleagues around here too, and also on
IRC.

David

--
David A. Black