On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 02:24:53 +0900
Edwin Eyan Moragas <haaktu / gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 01:30:08 +0900, Dany Cayouette
> <danyc / nortelnetworks.com> wrote:
> > I am a ruby newbie and am intimitaded by posting to this newsgroup... I only made two
>
> they're talking about this at the moment. i'll say "don;t be" :-)

I've noticed the discussion which prompted me to write this note.  I was concerned with 'breaking' some rules with my postings.

> > postings related to modules included with base ruby 1.8.0 and 1.8.1  (net/imap and
> > net/telnet).  I think I did my homework in researching the behavior I observed, but never saw
> > any replies to my postings.
>
> replies may take some time. your posts are not ignored altogether. just that
> others might be on to something else at the moment or are not just using the
> pertinent module you are using (like me)

Thanks for the reply.  At least I know my postings are going to the outside world.

Maybe you can help me with this question.  For argument sakes, lets say that the problem I have seems to be in method preprocess of module Net::Telnet.  I need to get a solution for my script.  I don't think I want to modify the $PREFIX/lib/ruby/1.8/net/telnet.rb directly.  I would want to 'override' the standard version with mine.

How would I do that?...  would I just add to my script something like

Module Net
  class Telnet
   def preprocess (string)
    copy of the orginal method with my few lines of changes

Thanks,

Dany