Hi --

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Brian Wisti wrote:

> Don't wait for approval from the whole community, because you're not
> going to get it. There will always be some folks who think that all
> communication about Ruby should be through a single central list.

I agree with the first sentence (as per one of my earlier posts), but
not with the second.  No one's talking about "all communication about
Ruby" taking place here on this list.  I mentioned the IRC channel;
others have mentioned wikis, and so on.  I think the reservations that
have been raised have to do with the merits of a nuby-helping-nuby
environment, as well as the fact that this list is historically a home
for nubies as well as experienced users.

> I understand their motivation, but these folks have to realize that
> a newbie is going to be seriously intimidated by a high-traffic list
> discussing everything from basic Ruby questions to the fundamental
> underpinnings of object-orientation and occasional digressions about
> the One True Operating System.

Fear and intimidation keep coming up.  I just hate to see that.  It's
so much not what the regulars on this list have tried hard to
cultivate :-(

David

--
David A. Black