Hi --

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004, James Edward Gray II wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2004, at 8:04 PM, James Britt wrote:
>
> > My concern is that a Nuby forum will be frequented by Nubies, but not
> > the old hands who are the best ones to answer questions and  guide
> > newcomers on style, technique, development rationale, and so on.
>
> I can't speak with authority here, but it's certainly not this way in
> Perl land.  Many experts track Perl Beginners and/or Perl Monks.  While
> there is some bad advice given, it's generally corrected quickly.

Ultimately, if people want to start a beginners' forum, then they
will.  Part of growing in size as a community is that we can't try to
agree on everything before anyone does anything.

I think it's too bad, though.  I've always liked the fact that we
don't go in for layering and hierarchies of users; everyone just meets
(electronically or otherwise) and does stuff.  I certainly believe
that Perl experts track the beginners, monks, etc.... and I guess
that's better than not tracking them, but I don't see that whole
culture of stratification as necessary for Ruby or worthy of
emulation in the first place.

But, like I said, we can't all agree on every step.

David

--
David A. Black
dblack / wobblini.net