Phil Tomson wrote:

> http://ion.gluch.org.mx/files/Hacks/gallina/
>
> It's a blog that uses your Gmail account.  Seems kind of cool.  Now if
> there were only a Ruby version ;-)

See this is kinda silly.  Whenever the ruby community finds something
cool that is written they say "gee if only that were written in ruby".
Other then having access to the libGmail or whatever the blog used to
read out the mail from gmail what is wrong with working software that
runs and has all necessary features, but is written in a different
language?

We should ask ourselves instead (if we want to see more things like that
in ruby) what cool thing we could do that hasn't yet been done.  For our
own customization we would all probably prefer code written in ruby, but
if we want to make a name for ourselves it won't be through code we find
easy to customize.  It will be through code that does something amazing
that hadn't been done before, or at least not quite that way.

So that's what we should aim for, not recreating someone elses cool
inventions, but making our own that are impressive in there own right.

Anyhow, i'll jump off my soapbox now.  Don't mean to offend anyone, it
just seems to be a kneejerk reaction the community often has, to
reimplement or fill a niche that is already nicely filled when we should
be finding new niches that are more difficult for some other languages.
  Not that some of the community aren't but it's just kinda silly
sometimes I think, for what we wish for.

Charles Comstock