On Aug 27, 2004, at 11:21 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Aug 27, 2004, at 21:35, David A. Black wrote:
>
>> Is that supposed to be rdoc --ri-system and/or rdoc --ri-site?  I
>> couldn't find any ri that accepted a --system argument.
>
> --ri-system

I'm still not getting along with rdoc and ri.

When I use your suggestion above, I see...

% rdoc --ri-system

unrecognized option `--ri-system'

For help on options, try 'rdoc --help'

Replacing --ri-system with --ri-site SEEMS to do the trick as near as I
can tell.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I went to the 1.8.1 source directory "lib" as you suggested in
another message.  Running rdoc there seems to get me some
documentation, but not all of it.  For example, String is missing a lot
of methods and Array and Hash both list only one.

I tried backing up to the root directory of the source and building the
documentation from there.  That's the closest I've ever come to getting
usable docs, but there are still some issues.  Here's some example ri
requests, after generating the docs this way:

% ri Array

---------------------------------------------------------- Module: Array
      Arrays are ordered, integer-indexed collections of any object.
      Array indexing starts at 0, as in C or Java. A negative index is
      assumed to be relative to the end of the array---that is, an index
      of -1 indicates the last element of the array, -2 is the next to
      last element in the array, and so on.

% ri Array#push
Nothing known about Array#push

% ri Hash

      Maps: Hash#to_yaml

Any further tips are very much appreciated.  I'm pretty frustrated with
the docs process, I feel like this should be simple.

If it helps, I'm on Mac OS X.3.5 building Ruby 1.8.1.

Thanks.

James Edward Gray II