On Sun, 5 Sep 2004 07:26:25 +0900, Sascha Ebach <se / hexatex.de> wrote:
> What is the main reason for using DI? Is it to produce the same
> functionality with less lines of code? Which is always excellent. In the

Are you sure?  I can show you Lisp and Rebol code that accomplishes
more in orders-of-magnitude fewer lines than equivalent Ruby
implementations, but that does not necessarily mean that these
languages are easier to use, adapt, and understand.

Many functional programming advocates could reasonably argue that
their favorite languages are considerably more powerful than Ruby, but
I think it comes down more to personal preference and how comfortable
a language is to use.  Ruby makes more sense to me than most of the
highly functional languages out there, though I have often considered
taking the plunge into more frigid functional waters.  I already
thought of myself as going out on a limb when I decided to code in a
relatively-less-popular language like ruby, and when I discovered
functional languages like OCaml my world was rocked even further.  For
now I'm comfortable with Ruby though.

Carl