On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:00:46PM +0900, Mauricio FernŠŌdez wrote:
> I'd have liked a chapter on good practices, which would benefit all
> repackagers -- making not only RPA's, but also FreeBSD's, Debian's,
> etc job easier. I actually consider this *much* more important than a
> detailed explanation of how to use RubyGems or rpa-base: good practices
> are more stable than packaging technology, esp. in the initial stages.

Indeed.  Next to coding style, this an import part of a software
project/program.  Until now I haven't looked into gems very much, I was
satisfied with what was available in Debian, but I'm bound to need some
more libraries :) so also will package some stuff, since I don't intend
to use gems in such a way that I bypass the build system.
So, it is nice to have a packaging standard which not enforces but
stimulates those best practices. For example requiring/stimulating/forcing
the coder to do 'require "../../../../../../some/libdir/lib.rb"' because of
a given dir structure, will make it very hard to (re)package the result.

> Looking at the TOC of Pickaxe 2ed, it seems that chapter is very much
> focused on RubyGems; I'd have preferred a general overview, followed by
> an explanation of Aoki's setup.rb and then some short notes about how to
> use RubyGems and most importantly where to find up-to-date documentation.
> IMHO it makes little sense to give too many details since the specifics
> are still subject to frequent changes. For instance, if that chapter
> mentioned something about require_gem vs. stubs, it'd be already
> partially out of date by now :-|

I agree completely, but since it's at the printers, there's nothing to
do about it. Maybe this general overview can be written anyway and put on
www.ruby-doc.org, since it is becoming more and more a central point for
this sort of things.

Paul

--
Student @ Eindhoven                         | JID:   paul / luon.net
University of Technology, The Netherlands   | email: paul / luon.net