On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:32:05 +0900, Carl Youngblood
<carl.youngblood / gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just drooling in anticipation for pickaxe 2 and looking through
> the table of contents on the pragprog web site.  I know this is
> probably asking too much considering its recent release, but rpa-base
> wasn't too far behind ruby-gems in being released, and I believe it is
> definitely a worthy contender in the ruby package management arena.  I
> was disappointed to see that it wasn't included in the book, although
> a whole chapter was devoted to ruby-gems.

I think the fundamental difference is that RubyGems requires
developers to package their own software whereas RPA is meant to be a
repository with a central team doing the packaging.  Most of the
RubyGems content in the pickaxe is about how to create gems.
Ultimately, if gems become ubiquitous, it makes the RPA team's
(Mauricio, that is) job easier, because some thought will have to be
put into how to make software distributable in this kind of way[1].  I
see it as a win for everyone.

Chad (who wrote the rubygems chapter for pickaxe2)

[1] For an example, check
http://halostatue.ca/blog/index.cgi/Tech/Ruby/Ruwiki/Deployment.20040902.md