On Aug 31, 2004, at 3:27 AM, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Once again, i don't know anybody working with TeX. And i don't know
> any book in the last years that where published about TeX.

Every book published with LaTeX is published with TeX.  It is not
hard to push the limits of LaTeX.  Everyone I know who has done
serious work in LaTeX has had to resort to using some other macro
packages, and quite often, raw-TeX, to get parts of the job done.  For
straight-forward things, LaTeX rocks.  But if you don't like
the decisions it makes, it can be really hard to get it to change.
Probably because the whole paradigm is that you are not supposed
to care how it looks.  Rather, you should trust the computer, er,
LaTeX.  LaTeX is your friend.

As for your future comments about literate programming, no development,
etc... with respect I have to say I'm not sure I get the point.
TeX, as another reader pointed out, really does do what it is supposed
to do.  All of the core typesetting functionality is there.  TeX
is like Xlib in the X11 libraries.  LaTeX is like the X Intrisics.
I'd rather use the intrisics, but when necessary I can go
to the raw Xlib.

X11 is still under development, but it's final display output and
hardware is constantly changing, whereas 8x11" sheets of paper
have been consistent for quite awhile. ;)

-Rob