Hi --

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Hello Robert,
>

> RK> "Kristof Bastiaensen" <kristof / vleeuwen.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> RK> news:pan.2004.08.30.22.22.18.554612 / vleeuwen.org...

> >> People are still using TeX, more than 20 years after it was written. I
> >> find that pretty amazing for a user-program.  If it doesn't qualify as a
> >> real world project then I don't know what does.
>
> RK> Right so.  And it can be easily verified in every bookstore that has but the
> RK> barest minimum of science litertature - especially Math and CS.  You'll find
> RK> a lot books made with TeX there.
>
> Once again, i don't know anybody working with TeX. And i don't know
> any book in the last years that where published about TeX.
>
> All goes into LaTex, TeTex etc. and the reasons are that TeX is really
> only an outdated type setting kernel. LaTex is developed very
> differently.

Sorry to dwell on the OT stuff, but I'd like to clarify this a little.

teTeX is a TeX distribution.  LaTeX is a package of macros written in
TeX.  I don't think teTeX is relevant here; you can't blame people who
want to use software for packaging and distributing it :-)

As for LaTeX: much of the point and power of TeX is that you can write
macros in it.  Knuth has done some; other people have done some,
including Leslie Lamport, the creator of LaTeX.  Macros are what TeX
is for; they're not something people have come up with as a workaround
for the low-levelness of TeX.  LaTeX is a large and popular set of
macros.  It's not a fork of TeX.  A better way to view it is that it's
a TeX application.

When you use LaTeX, you are using TeX.  There is nothing more "real"
about using TeX without macros -- in fact, I don't think it's possible
to get much done that way.  (I suppose you could inline everything,
but that was never the goal of TeX.)

(I believe the Pickaxe was prepared in LaTeX, so maybe it's not 100%
off-topic :-)

David

--
David A. Black