Jamis,

Don't let David's unexpected outburst reflect negatively on the BSD
community at large. I highly recommend all of the major *BSD variants.
Are they better than Linux? It depends on what your needs are. BSDs do
tend to be more conservative in their development -- that means more
stable APIs and filesystem layouts, though it can also sometimes slow
innovation.

The regular code audits of their source trees (esp. by the OpenBSD
folks) give me at least a somewhat more confidence in their security,
though I also have little doubt that their relative obscurity compared
to Windows and Linux contributes a great deal to the scarcity of
remote exploits.

Most importantly for our purposes here, though, they all run Ruby
flawlessly, and make a great platform for deploying Ruby-based
servers.

--
Lennon
rcoder.net