--- Andreas Schwarz <usenet / andreas-s.net> wrote:

> David Ross wrote:
> > --- Matt Lawrence <matt / technoronin.com> wrote:

> >>currently looking at the

> >>You might also want to check out some of the folks
> >>who do User Mode Linux
> >>hosting.  Basically, you get root access to your
> own
> >>virtual linux system
> >>and can install just about anything you want.
> >

> > If you are going to get a setup like this, you
> might
> > as well go secure and get a FreeBSD jail system.
> Don't
> > want to get cracked ;)
>
> To what extent is UML less secure than a BSD jail?

not to even start it. #1 BSD is more secure and can be
used as a good desktop or server. (*not: how you
install software doesn't judge it as a desktop)

#1 security

- Want proof? look how many fk'ing kernel exploits
there are.

- again? well take a look how stable the BSD base is
and how long its been around. Don't think time is
relavent? Well then if you don't think so you are not
very intelligent.

- take a look how many security exploits there are in
each BSD, then take a look how many exploits there not
not only in the linux kernel, but the base utils that
are generally installed with the BSDs. (*I am not
talking about third party software, every linux distro
is this way)

I was fed up with upgrading linux machines with
exploits. Plus I hang around people all day listening
to exploits that aren't even released public yet. You
better believe it. I use all the BSDs now, If I need
to run linux app that isnt for bsd, I use the
emulation layer, if theres a syscall not supported, I
add one.

Want to be a little bitch about it? okay fine to the
smart asses who keep saying "BSD is dying".
http://www.linuxisforbitches.com

I care much more about security than any other issue.
Security is the upmost importance, not having knobs
and handles.

BSD has style(8), and a good hier(8) than linux.

Wow, lets just be idiotic and install everything in
/usr wow! now its difficult to tell the system and
third party packages apart! wee linux is fun!

--David Ross